“Aiming for Afghanistan Reconciliation”
2011/06/22 International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies
Dr. Hassan Ko Nakata
Research Center for Peace and Development in Afghanistan, Doshisha University
1. First, I should apologize that I have been a supporter of Hizb-i Islami since 1993, and consequently my Afghan friends and informants are all supporter of Hizb-i Islami or Taliban, so my analysis can be a little bit biased.
2. Security in Afghanistan has been deteriorating day by day.
3. Talliban (Emarat-i Islami-iAfghanistan1996-2001) had been the sole Afghanistan government which establish the security over most parts of Afghanistan.
4. When Taliban government collapsed by the invasion of US forces, Taliban banished almost completely and it was not imagined that Taliban returned again.
5. But because of the incredible misgovernment of Karzai government and ISAF occupying forces, Taliban has recovered support by people, and now it is said that 70% of the country is under the control of Taliban.
6. Taliban has become the symbol of national resistance, even the President Karzai himself once said in Kandahar that he would join Taliban if the West would continue to make pressure on him.
7. Necessity of reconciliation with Taliban comes to be felt even among the Western occupying forces, and some American policy makers (including Obama and Hilary Clinton) seem to decide to start negotiation with Taliban.
8. Among Afghans themselves, statistics show that around 90% are agreeing with reconciliation with Taliban.
9. But politicians and former warlords of Northern Alliance are opposing reconciliation as well as self alleged “human rights activists” claiming that Taliban cannot participate in the government because they committed massacres and numerous violations of human rights during their rule.
10. It is true that Taliban government infringed human rights and Shari‘ah’s rules many , but as is same with warlords of Northern Alliance or they made atrocities by far the worse than Taliban but they are now in occupying high offices of the government.
11. Therefore, acceptance of Taliban is necessary for Afghan reconciliation, even the fact that Taliban had committed many mistakes, just same as sinful warlords of the Northern Alliance should have been accepted for sake of peace, and the claim of self alleged human right activists for rejection of Taliban should be rebutted.
12. The contents of reconciliation talk or negotiation should be unconditional, except two procedural requirements, i.e., (1)International community should give Taliban an “address” which guarantees security of their delegates, (2)US should admit Taliban or Emarat-i Islami-i Afghanistan as a political entity head. of which is Amirulmu’mineen Molla Omar as opponent party of negotiation
13. The main reason of the increase of insurgence movement in Afghanistan is the anger of people for so called “collateral damages”, which are in fact civilian victims of INSAF force’s attack.When General MacCristal, offered 2500$ for Afghan civilian victims, Afghan people got to be furious because it seemed blatantly contrary to justice, equality and humanity.
14. Therefore, the compensation for civilian victims based on justice acceptable to Afghan people, should be given priority to other financial aid, which is 1000 Dinar (1 Dinar =4.25g 22 Karat gold) according to Shari‘ah for all the victims except whom Afghan court proves that they are actually fighting with weapons. It seems acceptable as well to all who believe in human dignity and equality, and if UNAMA would coin Dinars for giving Afghan heirs of the victims, Afghan people would appreciate very much because it proves respect of UNAMA for the justice of Shari‘ah, and UNAMA’s Dinar will be the visible symbol of it.
15. Now US urges “reintegration” of individuals of Taliban to Karzai government, but this is quite unreasonable approach. The due proposal should be call to Taliban (Emarat-i Islami-i Afghanistan)’s leadership for accepting Karzai’s government. Namely, the former “legitimate” government of Emarat-i Islami-i Afghanistan which had realized unity and security for the country is to integrate the later Karazai government as a factual force in Kabul.
16. The place of Amirulmu’mineen might be Kandahar, while Kabul is given special position as a “cosmopolitan city” in which foreigners of “Ahl al-dhimmah” and “Musta’min” can enjoy full rights of their freedom of faith and its practice.
الدعائم الأساسیة لفكر طالبان
إمارة أفغانستان الإسلامية وسياستها الإدارية الناجحة
(originally in http://www.shahamat-english.com/)
Abdul Salam Zaeef, My life with Taliban, 2010, Columbia Univ. Press, New York